These Kid Approved French Toast Roll Ups are easy and delicious. They are an excellent way to incorporate a little protein into breakfast with zero refined sugar involved.
I am constantly scouring Pinterest for ideas for healthy and sustainable breakfasts for my kids (and myself!). We get stuck in a rut and tend to eat Honey Nut Cheerios and frozen pancakes everyday. While these aren’t completely terrible options, I find that the sugar and lack of protein cause some very HANGRY children come lunch time. And quite frankly, I’m tired of lunch being witching hour number one of the day. So, I set out on a mission to find some breakfast ideas to solve this problem. Good news: there are about a billion and one recipes. Bad news: my kids tend to be picky and only want certain foods.
My son LOVES french toast so when I saw an idea for french toast roll ups, I knew I had a winner. I saw several recipes using Nutella, but I didn’t have any on hand. Full disclosure: I never have Nutella on hand… I’m not the biggest fan (insert nervous emoji haha). I’m not a complete sugar freak, but 21 grams seems extremely excessive. Anyway, we are kind of in a love affair with peanut butter, and I just didn’t want to cheat ;).
Kid Approved French Toast Roll Ups
Okay, so when I created this recipe, it was the end of the week so I needed to use what I had on hand. I always have peanut butter, berries, and chocolate chips (duh!). Y’all know I am OBSESSED with Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips. They aren’t the cheapest, but they are the best. Obviously, you will also need bread, an egg, and a splash of milk.
First, lay out your bread. Any kind will do: white, wheat, gluten free, Ezekiel, whatever suits your fancy. I used Nature’s Own Honey Wheat (I know, don’t judge me). Cut off the crust. This isn’t necessary, but ya know #pickykids. Smush the bread until it is pretty thin. This is going to help with the rollage. I used a rolling pin and just smushed them all in one swoop.
Next, take your peanut butter (or any nut butter) and thoroughly spread it on the bread. Dice the strawberries.
Now it is time to assemble. Sprinkle about a tablespoon of berries in the middle of the bread, and top with chocolate chips. Then roll up the bread into a pinwheel of sorts making sure to secure all the goodness inside.
Take your egg and whisk it with 1 tablespoon of milk. I used almond milk, but again any milk will do. Start heating your pan with 1 tablespoon of butter.
Now. Dip each roll up into the egg mixture until fully coated and place into your heated pan. Cook until golden brown on each side. I used tongs to flip the rolls to ensure that each side of the french toast roll ups got all golden and crispy.
Top with more strawberries and chocolate chips if desired. And serve with a little bit of maple syrup!
I mean, how good do these look?
See that was pretty darn easy. And they are SO GOOD. Comment below and tag me on Instagram if you make them!
These Kid Approved French Toast Roll Ups are easy, healthy, and full of protein.
- 4 slices bread
- 4 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1/2 cup diced strawberries
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup *optional
1. Cut off crust on bread and flatten the bread until paper thin.
2. Dice the strawberries into small pieces.
3. Spread 1 tablespoon of peanut butter on to each piece of bread. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons strawberries and 1 tablespoon chocolate chips into the middle of each piece. Add more if desired.
4. Roll each piece of bread into a pinwheel making sure the filling is secure.
5. Whisk the egg and milk together. Dip each roll up into the egg mixture until thoroughly coated.
6. Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a skillet. Once the skillet is heated and the butter is melted, add the roll ups to the pan.
7. Cook until each side of the roll up is golden and crispy.
8. Serve with the remaining strawberries, chocolate chips, and maple syrup if desired.