The BEST Spaghetti and Meatballs EVER
Spaghetti and Meatballs: A Healthy Meal Option
- The original recipe says to cook the meatballs in a pan with a thin layer of oil, but I bake the meatballs (it’s also a lot easier) for about 15 minutes. THEN I toss them in the sauce. HOWEVER, the flavor is definitely better the original way because you get the flavorful fond from cooking the meatballs in oil. If you use a roasting pan, you can still get a little bit of grease to add to the sauce though.
- Sometimes I use breadcrumbs, but sometimes I also substitute the breadcrumbs with almond flour.
- Most spaghetti sauces use sugar. I DO NOT.
- Instead of serving the spaghetti and meatballs with traditional wheat noodles, sometimes I use brown rice pasta, quinoa pasta, chickpea pasta (Banza is my favorite!), or veggie noodles (zucchini, carrot, or butternut squash).
How To: Spaghetti and Meatballs
Okay, the first thing you want to do is make the meatballs. Place all meatball ingredients in a bowl and mix together. Make sure you don’t mix too much, just enough for everything to be incorporated. Personally, I use my hands to mix. It’s just easier. Next, you will make 1 1/2 inch balls. Place the balls on a baking tray. If you want to eliminate even more oil, use a cooling rack on the pan or a roasting pan. This will ensure the oil drips away from the meatballs. But like the original recipe states, the oil adds some really good flavor! Then bake for 15 minutes on 400° (they will finish cooking in the spaghetti sauce).
While the meatballs are cooking, start working on the sauce. Using a large pot or dutch oven, mix all sauce ingredients together on medium heat. You will literally just toss all items in the pot. Once the sauce starts to bubble, turn the heat to low and simmer. When the meatballs are finished baking, place them into the pot with the sauce, adding any fond and oil from the meatballs you desire. Simmer for at least 20-30 minutes. That’s it. This insanely delicious and authentic spaghetti and meatballs recipe is seriously a breeze to whip up. AND it’s so much better than the store-bought varieties. AND, did I mention you can freeze it? Double the recipe (or don’t because it makes plenty!) and save half for another time!
Serve with noodles, zoodles, on a sub, or alone! Don’t forget the Parmesan. 😉
Be sure to tag me on Insta if you make this dish! I love to see what y’all are cooking!
This spaghetti and meatballs recipe is hands down the best spaghetti I've ever had. I know, that's a pretty bold statement. The best part about this spaghetti and meatballs, aside from the fact it is heavenly to the taste buds, is it's pretty healthy.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup breadcrumbs or almond flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 28 ounce can crushed tomato
- 1 6 ounce can tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons dried parsley
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
1. Preheat oven to 400. Mix together all ingredients until fully incorporated.
2. Form into 1 1/2 inch balls and place on a baking sheet.
3. Bake for 15 minutes.
4. Remove from pan and place into sauce.
1. Mix crushed tomato and tomato paste together with half a can of water.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
3. Once meatballs are finished baking, place them into the sauce.
4. Simmer for at least 20-30 minutes.